The family of Iryna Zarutska is suing the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and its private transit security contractor one year after her murder shocked the nation. The suit alleges "systemic failures" left the city's light-rail system dangerously vulnerable.
"This case arises from the preventable death of Iryna Zarutska," states the wrongful-death complaint filed against the City of Charlotte and Professional Police Services Inc., doing business as Professional Security Services, or PSS. The allegations have not been adjudicated.
"What it shows is the systemic failures that have been within the CATS system for years that the city has been aware of," Lauren Newton, an attorney representing Zarutska's family and estate, previously told WBTV.
CHARLOTTE TRAIN STABBING SUSPECT DODGES POTENTIAL DEATH PENALTY FOR NOW AFTER HE'S RULED INCOMPETENT
The lawsuit alleges no security guard was aboard the Lynx Blue Line train, when Zarutska was fatally stabbed on Aug. 22, 2025, and accuses PSS of failing to adequately staff and deploy armed and unarmed personnel.
Charlotte's amended contract with PSS provided funding for 219 security personnel for fiscal years 2025 and 2026, according to the complaint, which alleges PSS had hired 183 at the time of Zarutska's killing.
The lawsuit further alleges PSS had only 11 armed guards despite the contract providing for up to 39 armed personnel.
TRUMP ADMINISTRATION LAUNCHES FEDERAL INVESTIGATION INTO ATLANTA'S MARTA SYSTEM AFTER FATAL TRAIN STABBING
"They weren’t fully staffed," Newton told WBTV. "If there had been a security guard on that train, Iryna Zarutska would be here." Her assertion that a guard would have prevented Zarutska's death has not been established in court.
The complaint also takes aim at fare enforcement, alleging Zarutska's accused killer, Decarlos Brown Jr., rode CATS transportation without paying before the attack. It alleges there were no physical barriers preventing non-ticketed riders from accessing the light rail.
"There’s been literally no fare enforcement and those things, at a basic level, are what’s necessary for safety. And there’s been none of that," Newton told WBTV.
MAN FACING FEDERAL CHARGES AFTER ATLANTA TRAIN PASSENGER STABBED ABOUT 20 TIMES, FBI INVESTIGATING
The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS knew or should have known about the Blue Line and its stops had repeatedly been the site of criminal activity before Zarutska's death. "Violent crime was absolutely foreseeable," Newton told WBTV.
The estate brings claims including wrongful death based on allegedly negligent and inadequate security and gross negligence. It seeks damages exceeding $25,000 and punitive damages against PSS, but not against Charlotte.
WBTV previously reported that Charlotte said it does not comment on active litigation and that PSS had not responded to its request for comment.
"The family doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else’s loved one," Newton previously told WBTV.
Fox News Digital separately reached out to Charlotte, PSS and Newton for comment but did not receive immediate responses.