The USS Abraham Lincoln is heading to the US after a record-breaking nine-month deployment riddled with assorted issues
The US aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln is heading home from its extended deployment, multiple media outlets reported on Thursday, citing officials.
The carrier’s deployment began in late November last year and was originally scheduled to end in May, but it was repeatedly extended due to its participation in the US-Israeli military campaign against Iran. The vessel now holds a modern US Navy record for the longest consecutive, uninterrupted period at sea, with roughly 5,000 sailors and Marines aboard and more than 260 days spent largely without port calls.
The deployment has reportedly been plagued by supply and maintenance issues, including shortages of food and basic supplies, a lack of hot and potable water, and plumbing problems. Crew members’ families have raised alarm over what they described as collapsing morale, burnout, and mental health issues. Several crew members reportedly attempted to jump overboard.
Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao acknowledged last week a “small number of mental health cases” on board that were “treated with no loss of life.”
Reports about the troubled deployment have prompted calls for the dismissal of Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, who dismissed concerns raised in the media as “completely misrepresented.”
Last week, US Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Hegseth “must be fired immediately” over the USS Abraham Lincoln situation.
”When Pete Hegseth was nominated, everyone knew he was completely incompetent. Now our brave sailors are paying the price in a horrific and unfathomable way,” the Democratic leader said.