Iran’s acting deputy defence minister said on Friday that weapons production had rapidly increased since the start of the war and that the US had not disrupted the country’s military supply chains, Al Jazeera reported. “The enemy thought that by targeting a few points related to the Ministry of Defence, he could cut off our military supply chain and achieve results — unaware that we enjoy national participation in our military industry,” Brigadier-General Shahrokh Shahram was quoted as saying by state broadcaster IRIB. “The outbreak of the imposed war has created a special incentive in Iran’s defence and military industries; if production was carried out regularly and uniformly before, now it has increased incredibly and exponentially,” he added. BREAKING: Senior Iranian defence official says country's military remains intact despite US claims 🔴 LIVE updates: https://t.co/LDkpvxmHzZ pic.twitter.com/VLC96IVYaX — Al Jazeera Breaking News (@AJENews) August 21, 2026 NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement NATO's top commander convened a videoconference earlier this week to facilitate possible contributions to ​support freedom of navigation in the Strait of ‌Hormuz, his spokesperson told Reuters, adding that this was not a NATO mission. “Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe hosted a ​meeting of interested Allies at the chief of ​defence level on Wednesday, 19 Aug 26, ⁠to facilitate their possible contributions to ​support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz," ​a spokesperson for the alliance's top commander, US Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich, said on Friday. "To be clear, this is ​not a NATO mission. But given NATO’s unique ​strengths in its ability to bring together Allies and understand the ‌capabilities they bring to bear, it makes sense for NATO to facilitate in this way," the spokesperson added. New US sanctions 'will not deter us': Hezbollah Hezbollah said on Friday that new sanctions imposed by the United States “will not deter” the group’s resistance against Israel after Washington accused Hezbollah of serving Iran, AFP reported. “All these unjust sanctions and classifications will not deter us from adhering to the path of resistance and the right of Lebanon and the Lebanese to defend their land, sovereignty and resources,” Hezbollah said in a statement, emphasising that it “does not need anyone to vouch for its Lebanese identity and patriotism”. “Our close and fraternal relationship with the Islamic Republic of Iran is a relationship we cherish and are proud of,” Hezbollah stated. Iran’s president says war with US should end while Tehran is in position of ‘power, dignity’ Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Friday that the war with the United States should be brought to an end while Iran is in a position of “power and dignity,” as he defended Tehran’s recent agreement with Washington. Speaking at an event, Pezeshkian said the outcome of the negotiations was a “major achievement” approved by Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, according to a statement from the Iranian presidency. “What was achieved during the negotiations was a major accomplishment,” he said, adding that members of the council who were directly involved had firmly defended it. Pezeshkian described the recent agreement as “honourable and valuable,” rejecting criticism that Tehran had made concessions. “They cannot find even a single clause in this agreement that indicates surrender; all the commitments are related to the other side,” he said. The Iranian president stressed, however, that the agreement did not mean Tehran would submit in the event of another attack. “We will under no circumstances bow to bullying,” he said. “We will stand against them until our last breath and give them a crushing response.” Pezeshkian said the war should come to an end at some point, arguing that the current circumstances offered an appropriate opportunity. “It is better to end the war today, when we are in a position of power and dignity,” he said, arguing that the US had violated international rules by attacking Iranian schools, hospitals and infrastructure. He said Iran’s military commanders and armed forces remain fully prepared to defend the country, while stressing the importance of maintaining domestic unity. Iranian major general vows 'devastating' response to US sanctions Iran said on Friday that its response to any new US threats would be "devastating" after Washington pledged to impose the toughest financial penalties in history to topple the Iranian leadership. The Chief of Staff of Iran's Armed Forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, said the Islamic Republic's reaction would be broad and decisive. "With preparedness across land, sea, air, air defence and cyberspace, Iran's armed forces will respond to the enemy's new threats with crushing, punishing and devastating responses," Abdollahi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. Earlier, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf said that Iran must plan to overcome "unjust sanctions", a day after US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced what he described as the toughest sanctions ever imposed on Iran. Bessent said the measures would be detailed on Monday, suggesting they could lessen the need for further major military operations. Ghalibaf, one of Iran's most influential political figures and Tehran's top negotiator in talks with the US, said economic development and security were closely linked. He accused the US and Israel of waging economic and "cognitive" warfare after concluding they could not prevail in a direct military confrontation with Iran and Iraq. "If you look at the resources and raw materials of Muslim countries, you will realise that our enemies come to plunder them," Ghalibaf told Iranian and Iraqi business representatives in Baghdad, according to his Telegram channel. "Therefore, we must make plans to deal with the unjust sanctions so that we can overcome them." He also called for stronger economic ties between Baghdad and Tehran and said the two countries could use their national currencies in trade to reduce reliance on the US dollar. Bessent's comments on Thursday followed President Donald Trump's threat a day earlier of "Economic Warfare" and warning of economic consequences against any country that provided "any type of lifeline to Iran." Bessent promised details next week. "I'm not sure why oil has popped up on this," Bessent told CNBC. "If we are doing the maximum economic pressure, then that means that likely there will not be a large-scale kinetic restart," he said, using a term referring to military force. A day earlier, Ghalibaf stated that Iran and Iraq had rejected attempts by US-led Western powers to determine their fate, urging the neighbours to turn their longstanding political and security cooperation into concrete economic development and shared prosperity, Iran's Press TV had reported. Iran, Iraq will not allow foreign powers to determine their fate: Qalibafhttps://t.co/GKgvoOTEtu — Press TV 🔻 (@PressTV) August 21, 2026 'Sanctions and pressure' on Iran not a solution, says China China said that US "sanctions and pressure" would not resolve the Middle East conflict, after Washington urged governments including Beijing to join efforts to isolate the Iranian economy. "Sanctions and pressure will not help resolve the issue," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lin Jian told reporters at a news briefing, calling on "all relevant parties to take responsible measures and resolve the problem through political and diplomatic means". MFA Spokesperson’s response to President Trump’s planned “Economic D-Day” against Iran: Sanctions and pressure tactics are not the solution. China calls on parties to act responsibly and stick to the political and diplomatic approach. pic.twitter.com/kzQQXxbixI — CHINA MFA Spokesperson 中国外交部发言人 (@MFA_China) August 20, 2026 Sanctions detail to come Iran has weathered near-continuous, punishing economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, since the Islamic Revolution of 1979. Before Bessent spoke, Iran's foreign ministry said it condemned US economic and trade sanctions, calling them "economic terrorism" that would not "create even the slightest hesitation in Iranians’ determination to safeguard Iran’s independence, dignity and national sovereignty." Bessent told CNBC he would share more details on the latest package and "talk about exactly what we're going to do" on Iran at a press conference on Monday. "It is a one-two punch. We have the blockade (on Iran), and we are going to have the toughest sanctions in history," he added, referring to a US naval blockade imposed on Iran in April and paused for a month in mid-June. "It is going to work in Iran and we are going to collapse this regime. It is time for our allies and the rest of the world to make a decision," he said. Read: Iran labels California its 'new territory' after Trump's Hormuz claim China buys more than 80% of Iran's shipped oil, according to 2025 data from analytics firm Kpler, but engaging in further economic warfare with China, a major exporter to the US including vital rare-earth minerals, risks retaliation against Washington. When asked if the US could target China for doing business with Iran, Bessent said many conversations were best to have in private. "Keep in mind that the Chinese get 50% (of their) energy...from the Gulf. So it would do them a big service to get with the program," he said. China's embassy in Washington said "sanctions and pressure do not help resolve the problem." "China calls on the relevant parties to take responsible actions and resolve the issue through political and diplomatic means," according to an embassy spokesperson. 'Tremendous economic consequences' In a social media message on Wednesday, Trump promised "Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale." He did not say what specific steps the US would take or name any country, though the warning would appear to extend to US allies that have helped mediate peace talks. "ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences," Trump wrote. Trump, however, is under pressure at home to end the unpopular war, with high fuel prices dragging down his approval ratings and potentially threatening his party's control of Congress in midterm elections in November. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi called Trump's comments an attempt to divert American public opinion from domestic financial problems, including record debt and rising interest rates. He said Washington's insistence on policies he described as failed would bring further failures and alienate Iranians. Trump's social media threats and announcements are not always implemented as written. Oil prices rose to more than a three-week high on Thursday following those US threats of financial penalties aimed at forcing an end to a nearly six-month-old war that has stranded millions of barrels of Middle Eastern oil. Thousands have been killed in the conflict, which drew in Gulf nations and shocked markets as Iran flexed its ability to curb shipping through the Strait of Hormuz — a waterway that carried about a fifth of all traded oil before February. The US and Iran have twice announced ceasefire deals, in April and June, aiming to restore the free flow of shipping through Hormuz on a path towards ending the conflict, but both quickly crumbled.