See more Toronto Sun on Google — save as a Preferred Source

The good news may be that President Donald Trump has acknowledged that not only is Canada not the 51st state, but not a state at all.

For those who savour free trade and capitalism, the bad news may be that Canadian taxpayers’ economic partner is quickly shifting from the United States to the Canadian government and tax-fueled bailout incentives, with a push that there will be no tolerance for legitimate questions, suggestions or even dissent. Similar to during the COVID-19 pandemic, the monolithic ‘everybody must fall in line or you are a traitor’ loyalty test push has already begun, with attacks awaiting those who fall out of line.

As you awoke Sunday morning, you may have noticed both messaging from Trump and social media links sent out by the Canadian government as a reminder of social assistance-style programs available to combat tariff-induced financial pain resulting from the often-changing U.S. initiatives. Canada has vowed a “dollar for dollar” retaliation starting on Sept. 8, which could trigger an unprecedented trade conflict.

More about that and how you will be bailing out the fallout of this trade war below. But first, the day after waking up to the news that trade talks had broken down with the United States comes the first reaction from President Donald J. Trump himself. Trump posted to his Truth Social account in the 1 a.m. hour on Sunday.

“Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!! They have also charged our great farmers, for many years, massive amounts of Tariffs. No more!!! President DJT,” the post read.

Both Trump and Carney have spoken

It was an underwhelming response when you consider some of the nasty things that have been said about Trump by some Canadian premiers . This, so far, has been the only comment from the president since the negotiations between Canada and America ended without a deal and no planned future meetings Friday night in Washington.

President Trump just called out Canada for wanting the benefits of being a U.S. state without actually being one. He said Canada has charged American farmers massive tariffs for years. No more free rides. Trump made it clear the unfair treatment ends now. America First means… pic.twitter.com/nq5G26PCOM

— Commentary Donald J. Trump Posts From Truth Social (@TrumpDailyPosts) August 23, 2026

Meanwhile, Saturday, in his quest to line up unwavering support against Trump’s America, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney had plenty to say.

“For much of our history, Canadians have been able to count on favourable trade conditions: a stable relationship with the United States, increasingly open access to the U.S. market, and rules that both countries understood and respected.”

Not as the 51st state, but as a sovereign country.

“These conditions have not simply shifted. The climate has also changed. We cannot control the storm blowing in from Washington,” Carney said. “We can chart a new course by building Canada strong at home and diversifying our trading relationships abroad. We are masters in our own home and the partner of choice abroad.”

Just like that, Carney vowed that Canada is moving on.

Billions in social programs already advertised

And, to bridge the potential catastrophic financial collapse that could come with standing up to Trump in this way, Carney says “we are the masters of our destiny” and “the government is matching that spirit with $25 billion to protect Canadian workers and businesses hurt by the American tariffs.”

However, his “New World Order” edict is to be funded by taxpayers and, as people wait to see the global reaction to the Canadian dollar and economy after this decision to have his negotiators walk from the table, the government is signalling supports as some brace for possible hard times ahead.

While rollout is expected on what looks similar to pandemic era-style government programs, to deal with that crisis, Carney hinted “we are helping our small and medium-sized businesses respond by investing in equipment, productivity, and supply chain resilience” and “providing financing to keep large employers operating and retain their workers” and “helping our hardest-hit industries retool and pivot to international markets” and “we are being our own best customer.”

Then on Sunday morning, some business account owners were sent a social media message with the headline: “We’re here to help tariff-impacted workers and employers” above a picture of three workers and a link to a series of programs already available. Under the headline “Support for workers and employers impacted by tariffs,” it states “in response to the shifting economic landscape, the Government of Canada has a plan to protect and strengthen Canada’s economic future” and then lays out dozens of measures and millions of dollars available.

While an Instagram message came through Sunday morning, the original ad was from Aug. 10, weeks before the Trump imposed deadline. Click on the prompt and it takes the recipient to a Government of Canada web page that has numerous programs listed going back to June and even 2025.

That didn’t take long. America is not Canadian business and workers’ partner going forward. But the, paid for by taxpayers, Canadian government is. pic.twitter.com/mkuYYL4iF2

— Joe Warmington (@joe_warmington) August 23, 2026

The repackaged message sent out just hours after the end of negotiations certainly meets the needs of this time.

“Learn more about the government’s investments through LMDAs (Labour Market Development Agreements) to help workers and employers affected by tariffs,” it reads.

Other areas to click includes “skills and employment training for Indigenous people,” and “Canada Student Grants and Loans,” and the “Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP) if you are having trouble paying your loan.”

  • WARMINGTON: Canada and U.S. plunged into full-on tariff war as trade talks collapse
  • LILLEY: Carney walks away, now Canada faces the tariff fallout

It also covers the Canada Apprentice Loan, Tax deductions and credits, Employment Insurance for apprentices, a “Prevent layoffs with the Work-Sharing Program” and a the “Student Work Placement Program, a “Worker Retention Grant and a “Regional Tariff Response Initiative” which offers “financial support for small and medium-sized enterprises impacted by tariffs” as well as a “Strategic Response Fund” that is “for innovative projects in sectors affected by the U.S. tariffs” and the “Large Enterprise Tariff Loan” program “for large Canadian enterprises affected by current and future tariffs and countermeasures.”

From “tax relief” to support for the steel and forestry industries to “loans, grants and tailored programs to help your business expand into new markets,” there are many more taxpayer-funded social programs listed.

“We need to support these sectors,” Premier Doug Ford said Saturday, adding that it was reiterated to Carney this weekend that people know their government is there for them.

Business could be different in Canada a day after Labour Day. Similar to the COVID-19 period, the message in late August 2026 is that while America may no longer be your guaranteed financial partner, your government is.

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

We are masters in our own home. pic.twitter.com/5omHuIt0he

— Mark Carney (@MarkJCarney) August 22, 2026